This is Week Seven: Recovering A Sense of Connection. This week we will turn to the practice of right attitudes for creativity. Our emphasis will be on our receptive as well as active skills from Monday June 21st to Sunday July 27th 2008.
* Finish this sentence: “If I didn’t have to do it perfectly, I would try…” [do this as much as you like!]
* Jealousy map: make three columns. In the first, name those whom you are jealous of. Next to each name write why – be as specific and accurate as you can. In the third column, list one action you can take to move toward creativity and out of jealousy.
* Answer the Archeology Exercise questions.
* Watercolour, calligraph, or crayon the mantra “Treating myself like a precious object will make me strong.” Hang it somewhere that you will see it daily.
* Take the time to listen to one side of an album, just for joy. [yes, this is rather dated – perhaps half a CD if you wish, or just a group of songs off your playlist.] Perhaps you’ll want to doodle while doing so.
* Take yourself to a sacred space – a church, synagogue, library, grove of trees – and allow yourself to savour the silence and healing solitude.
* Create one wonderful smell in your house – with soup, incense, fir branches, candles – whatever.
* Wear your favourite item of clothing for no special occasion.
* Buy yourself one wonderful pair of socks or gloves or something else that is comforting and self-loving.
* Collage: collect a stack of at least ten magazines. Set a twenty minute limit for yourself, and literally tear through the magazines, collecting images that reflect your life or interests. Keep pulling until you have at least twenty images, then collage them to paper in a way that pleases you.
* Quickly list five favourite films. Note any common denominators among them. Do you see traces of your cinematic themes in your collage?
* Name your favourite topics to read about – are these topics in your collage?
* Give your collage a place of honour.
Don’t forget your Morning Pages and Artist’s Date! Did you experience any synchronicity? Any other issues?