Addendum to the #MooreandMe post: Kate Harding wrapped up into one neat package all the rebuttals and extra facts I’ve been throwing around in public, but not so much online. She’s a smart one, that Kate.
Olbermann: What if he’s not guilty?
A: That wouldn’t change anything the majority of us are saying.
* If he’s not guilty, it’s still a fact that he was accused of rape.
* If he’s not guilty, it’s still a fact that unprotected consensual sex is perfectly legal in Sweden.
* If he’s not guilty, it’s still a fact that the allegations are about far more than a broken condom.
* If he’s not guilty, it’s still a fact that you didn’t correct Michael Moore when he distorted all of the above facts during an interview with you.
* If he’s not guilty, it’s still a fact that you personally spread ridiculous misinformation as well.
* If he’s not guilty, it’s still a fact that you boosted the signal on a patently ludicrous, nakedly sexist article by an unreliable writer. [UPDATE: Olbermann just said on Twitter that he “repudiated the linked article weeks back when the author was alleged to have been a holocaust denier.” I have no idea where he did that, but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.] [UPDATE 2: On Dec. 7, he tweeted “If the author of that article is a holocaust denier, I repudiate him and what he wrote, and apologize for retweeting the link” in an @ reply to user @mcmoynihan — meaning it would only show up in feeds of people who follow both Olbermann and Moynihan, and on Olbermann’s main page — not in his 150K+ followers’ feeds. So yes, he apologized for that before #mooreandme started, but not quite publicly.)
* If he’s not guilty, it’s still a fact that trivializing real rape allegations contributes to a culture in which victims are hesitant to report being raped for fear that they won’t be believed.
* If he’s not guilty, it’s still a fact that you’ve behaved like a blinkered, condescending, mendacious (or at best, willfully obtuse), mansplaining, childish shitbag in response to sincere feminist criticism. [UPDATE: Olbermann has responded fairly respectfully to me on Twitter this afternoon, so he at least gets points for doing waaaaaaay better than Moore on this. Enough that I’ll even take back the “shitbag.” The rest stands.]
I mean seriously, “stupidfest“? Why not just call us pinheads?
NOTE: when I c+p’d this, the links, of which there are many, did not cross. PLEASE click over and scroll through the links and the rest of her awesome rebutting. She’s a champ, and Sady Doyle is a tireless machine of pressure in this movement. Good on them both.